Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Firmly planted in love.

I finally broke down and ordered Fitted Knits by Stefanie Japel. I was going to wait until I saw it in a store somewhere, for Mastercard reasons, but with an inexplicable limit increase, the world is mine!

And let me tell you, there is only one pattern in that book that I don't want to make. 1/25? Amazing odds, seeing as I'm picky, and on the heavy side (read: fatty) but with patterns that go up to 56 inches chestwise in some cases, I have my pick of the litter. I promised myself that when the book came, I would buy yarn for one project, and now I can't decide. Really. I just keep sitting there, staring at all the patterns, looking things up online, making calculations, adding things to shopping carts, taking them out.

I also love the fact that I don't just have to skim to the last set of numbers to see what is usually my size. I loved that with Big Girl Knits too.

I think what I have to do is take my book, and march on down to a brick and mortar store. Aaand the only one within walking distance happens to be my favourite anyway, Needles & Knits. It's probably the only place where I haven't had anyone condescendingly ask And what is this going to be? and then bid me good luck with that little gleam of amusement in their eyes.

Which reminds me of a Lewiscraft story. I was knitting a hat, just your average 2x2 rib worsted weight hat on DPNs, and a woman actually said to me, just by looking at it, and then me, Oh your first hat! How intrepid! and I felt that familiar twitch in my eye that became synonymous with early twenties knitter knitting in public, or visiting a yarn store.

I was once told at a yarn store in New Jersey that it was wise as a beginner to only use sock yarn for socks, and what I had in my hands was not sock yarn. I resisted the urge to punch the woman out while screaming I'M IN CHARGE OF ORDERING YARN AT A MAJOR RETAIL STORE, YOU TWIT.

Anyway. The next few days see me buying yarn for something, I just don't know what yet. I have 24 options!

1 Comments:

Blogger Stefanie said...

what a fabulous review! Thank you!

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home