Friday, July 13, 2007

Finished, finished.

I'm finally at that part of starting a lot of things at once where I'm starting to finish all of those things. Slowly, but they're getting done. The supposedly ill-fated Noro cardigan is too huge to sit on my lap for long periods of time, so the collar might have to wait a while. The puff-sleeved cardigan from Fitted Knits is just waiting for that last ball of the right dye lot that I found through Ravelry (I'm saintraoul there, go friend me!) because Knit Picks didn't have any left, and Mesilla?

S6000485

Done!

S6000490

Done.

I hate the yarn, Mission Falls Cotton. I think I mentioned this once before, but it was so stiff and troublesome and I had an impossible time with gauge. It was fine when I started, but as I got used to the yarn and worked with it more, my fingers got lazy, so my ending gauge is looser. It still needs a proper steam-blocking. I do love the finished product though, the yarn, despite my misgivings, ends up very nice.

Modifications I knowingly made were with the picot edging and the contrast colours; I knew I wouldn't wear it if it had a picot edging. I'm just not a picot kind of girl. So I did two rows of reverse stockinette and then bound off in purl on the right side, like EZ always says. With the contrast colours, it was my own mistake. I didn't buy a third colour, but I bought too much of one of the others. I forget if I did this on purpose or not. Modifications I unknowingly made were with the neckline; I didn't pick up enough stitches along the sides so my decreases made for a tighter neckline. That's just fine though, I'm more likely to wear it if it shows off less chest.

The pattern was wonderful, like all of Stefanie's patterns. Well written and easy to follow. I saw some sniping about it on other blogs, mostly about the neckline instructions not having exact numbers, but I liked it that way; even when a pattern says "pick up and knit x number of stitches" I almost never find I have x number of stitches and this causes me a lot of headache. I'd much rather have instructions like "pick up one stitch for every cast on stitch across the row and two for every three rows across the front" or whatever. So, great pattern, I love it.

I made another slouch hat too, at OoTP. Theatre was packed, and I had the good fortune to sit next to a pack of fresh from high school fangirls. Now, please understand, I am the most flailing of all fangirls, about nearly everything I like. I was also super-excited about the movie! A lot! But don't spent ten minutes talking about how excited you are for the movie, and then spend the first five minutes of the actual movie talking about boyfriends. Or talking at all. And stop squealing whenever Ron is on screen, lest I start squealing every time Snape is visible (Oh Alan Rickman. You deserve more screen time). I swear, if I didn't have my hat to knit on, I would have gone insane and stabbed them.

And another thing, while I'm up on my soap-box. There was a woman in front of me with her very young boy. Probably four or five. Have you read the book? I was hardly surprised when he cowered in fear from basically the first minute on, and halfway through, ended up in her lap. Gee, who knew it was scary!

Everyone who read the book, ever.

Aaand I'm done.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stefanie said...

Glad you liked the pattern, it looks awesome!!

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, look at that! Fabulous colours.

Also, yeah. Stupid people at movie theatres--I'm a flaily, flaily fangirl, but I can shut up about it when it's onscreen.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home