Monday, July 30, 2007

Wise words.

"If you knit, you rip."

It usually takes a knitter a few years to realise this, to understand that progress is more likely if you rip back either completely or just a tad, and then get motoring again. It's hard to see all those stitches, all that work flying back into string but at the same time, it's gratifying to know it's going to be something better. We can rebuild it. We have the technology patience.

I'm at peace with ripping. I've ripped back a never-to-be-felted Manos purse and made a hat. I've ripped back a wrap and queued the yarn for EZ's double-knit baby blanket. I'm getting ready to rip back my Mystery Stole #3 due to some major mistakes a few rows back and a war with row 80-something. I may or may not start over. I usually lose steam on lace once I've ripped.

And finally, my Gryffindor house sweater. To be honest, I was never happy with the colours of red and gold I ordered from Knit Picks, but forged on. I wish I'd been thinking and got charcoal instead of silver for a new-style house sweater. So my plan with this is to rip and turn it into a sweater I might actually wear. Which might be the Faux Fair Isle sweater from Spin to Knit. I have one in the queue already, but I realised that the roving I was going to spin for the yoke would pill like hell, and the Nature Wool wants to be a wrap anyway.

I'm sure I can find something to match the silver. Or...I can go shopping on Etsy? No, that's not the right one.

OH the turquoise corriedale...with bits of silver corriedale to match the silver Wool of the Andes!

Yes!

Accio spindle!

I mean...let me get my spindle. Too much Harry Potter.

ETA: I was thinking about other things I might have to rip in the near future, and...my beloved but failing Kureyon cardigan might be on the chopping block. Do I finish the collar and see what it looks like, or just dive right in and frog it? Decisions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home