Friday, September 28, 2007

Mama's First Lightbox.

Not so much a box, but I did use the back of a box (full of a few pounds of Coopworth, no less) for support. I noticed how nice my sheer white blind diffused the light the other morning and thought it would be the perfect place for setting up a big shot yarn photo operation. I'm sured you're all sick of my kitchen table. And, lo and behold, I have yarn to take pictures of!

Like I said, when my knitting slacks, I try to do other creative and still yarny things to keep my brain at it. So, there's been lots of spinning.

S6000744

Flawful Fiber's September bats, which are a mix of a gabillion different things. Julie explains on her blog. First bats I've ever spun! I have two more that I'm going to try woolen spinning on today.

S6000742

This is the Fleece Artist merino I've been working on.

S6000750

It's 233 yards, about DK weight, I haven't wpi'ed it yet. I think I finally have yarn for socks!

S6000754

Pretty. It's really squishy and soft.

So then I was rooting around in the cupboard yesterday and I found some Wilton icing colour! In brown! Dreamy! So I dyed up some worsted merino with it, and the other colours in the pack.

S6000764

This is yellow, brown, and blue, which all sort of migrated into a nice spring green with spots of light brownish-red. It wasn't what I was going for, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I don't know the actual term for the kind of dyeing I did next, but this was the one where you have a jar with the dye in it and add an end of the yarn but keep the rest suspended, and then put it in a pot of water. Leave it for five minutes, then come back and squish more yarn in the jar and add more water, repeat until jar is full. Then I put the whole thing in the hot water/vinegar to simmer for a bit. I got this:

S6000758

Which I love. Love love love. This is my favourite part.

S6000759

LOVE. So then I went on ebay and found some acid dyes for cheap, 33 pounds for $31. So I can pretend and practice at being a real dyer.

I also may be bidding on a swift and a ball winder, because I can't deal with not having them anymore. Mostly the swift because I don't mind winding a ball by hand, but if I have to wrap a skein by hand one more time, I'm going to lose it. If someone outbids me on the swift though, I have a skeinwinder lined up that can work as well. In fact, it might work better. But we'll see.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That FA merino is gooooorgeous.

Also, swifts/winders. Oh yes. Once you get them, you'll wonder how the hell you didn't go crazy before.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home